Wednesday, February 06, 2008

3:00 am

It was 3:00 am..................Pit a pat, pit a pat down the unlit hall to our room someone comes. All I see is a silhouette of a face. The beautiful brown skin of my son Levi, blends into the darkness in the room. He seems upset and eagerly climbs into bed next to me as I pull back the covers to make room for him. He snuggles close and tells me his finger hurts and that his birthday is coming soon?! (He cannot wait for his birthday) I think he has been dreaming.............
He smell so good and his curly head rests on my chest. We can feel each other breathing. His arms are wrapped around my neck. He looks younger than 4, all dressed in his soft, zip-up, feet pajamas.
I wanted to record this moment because Levi has hardly ever come into our room in the middle of the night since coming home almost 7 months ago. He wants to be so self-sufficient during the day that I sometimes forget to take the time to rock him, hold him, scratch his back and sing to him. I have done all these things with my children that I have had since birth. I am sad at times to think of the "mothering moments" I have missed in his life.
When he came into our room this night, God gave me the awareness that this 3:00 am time slot was a gift of His grace. It was time to hold Levi, feel his breathing up against me, a time to tickle his cheeks and arms and tell him I love him.
Levi felt comforted. I felt my heart fill with thankfulness for the son God has given me.

Posted by Tanya

1 comment:

Michael and Michelle said...

I love it...I am excited for those days!!! That's so sweet!
We're still waiting on our FDL.

Michelle