Thursday, April 16, 2009

Anger Issues.........

Two years in July, our family grew to 7 through adoption. We have been blessed in many ways through our journey, but continue to learn new things about ourselves and how that works out tangibly in our daily lives. One of the areas I have really struggled in is anger. God is ever so gently drawing this struggle to the surface so I can learn to turn toward Him when anger hits. I have been angry at my children in ways I never imagined before and toward my husband in ways I am not proud of. My anger has affected my children. One in particular is REALLY struggling. I believe my anger towards him has done damage, but I am hopeful that God can repair and I can use it as an opportunity to relate to my son in his struggles.

One of the hardest things for me is to NOT become angry when my child is using disrespectful, disobedient talk. Arguing........Arguing......! I want to PULL my hair out, run screaming up and down the street or hibernate in a hole where no one can find me. I confess it is humbling to experience this anger.

I begged God one morning to reveal to me something in His precious word that would help me turn to Him when I need to correct my child and instruct him, all the while trying to be a sweet aroma of Christ. (2 Corinthians 2:15a "For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved")

This verse is now hanging on my wall where I can see it:
Proverbs 23:9 "Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the good sense of your words." God opened my eyes to a new strategy..............when my children are not wanting to listen to my words and I feel my temper rising, I can send them to a designated spot and leave them there! I in turn take the opportunity to pray for my own anger and for that child. I am not letting the person leave there spot until they are ready to listen respectfully.

Today was a challenge because this process repeated itself over and over with one child through out the day. BUT finally at the end of the day I could see God penetrating his angry heart. I believe God blessed this because I walked away from the situation and prayed prayed prayed. It was HARD HARD work. I wanted to get angry but kept begging God for mercy. By HIS grace I did not blow up and speak harshly to my son. ( Believe me the temptation was there.)

This is another verse that God has used to help me:
Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up
anger."


I am thankful for a new day tomorrow.
Tanya

1 comment:

Greta Petersen said...

Amen!!! I needed that!