Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Righteousness Is Sown In Peace

James 3:17-18
"But first the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."


This verse jumped out at me this morning. As many of you faithful readers know, we grew our family through the wonderful journey of adoption almost 2 years ago. We are blessed by the addition of our sons. There have been however some issues of attachment. Our children by birth have also had many adjustments.

Isaac and Levi are struggling with bonding together. After receiving some Christian counseling last fall we began what we call, "Super Fun Time". This is a time that we carve out to interact and play with the boys together. We are actually the mediators and teachers. We are trying to teach them to play peacefully and lovingly. Lately with our busy lives we have not been focusing on this.

Recently we had anger issues resurfacing. Yesterday I attempted to try to resume "Super Fun Time". It was a disaster...........Ugh! Fighting, tattling, selfishness, anger. All with me in the room trying to help. I ended up sending them away because I was so frustrated. Some days it feels like so much work.

The part of this verse that resonated in my soul was that a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. I looked up the definition of righteousness: morally upright; in accordance with virtue or morality. I long for a "harvest" of these qualities.

I want to press on being a peacemaker in my home. To make time to help my children be peacemakers. This takes time and attention on my part. I need to slow down, let the daily "to do" list go and just be more available emotionally for them. I really do tend to just "get through the day" so often.

Today I am asking the Lord to help me be gentle, open to reason, peaceable, full of mercy, impartial and sincere. I definitely need the GRACE of the LORD to do this. I am thankful for a powerful God!

If there are any of you readers out there that have some ideas for us as "date" ideas for two active boys struggling to get along and see themselves as brothers, could you please post them! Lincoln logs and Legos are getting old!

Thanks for stopping by,
Tanya

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can do this. "never tire of doing what is right." I'm praying for you. Lisa

Anonymous said...

Tanya,
Thanks for the blessing today. I love the part of the verse that says that we are open to reason. It's hard to be open to reason when kids are bickering!
We've really been struggling with attachment issues lately too. I'm focusing on getting through each day and praying that the same God who put our family together in such a miraculous fashion will knit us together in love.
Many blessings!
Laura Heits